Carrot oil has become a popular ingredient in today’s world because of its immense benefits it is presently use for expensive body lotions, skin creams, shampoos, hair creams and skin tubes.
Carrot oil is very easy to make at home and it is extremely beneficial and naturally healthy for the whole body.
To create your own natural beauty products at home, start by making a batch of carrot oil. Carrot contains an anti-aging nutrient with antioxidant capabilities, Beta-Carotene, to help slow down the ageing of cells in the body.
Uses of carrot oil are quite versatile, for example, healing properties for delicate skin, eyes and lips, fighting skin aging, in particular, neck skin aging.
Carrot oil can help refresh the immune system, improve the kidneys and liver, aid against rheumatism and arthritis and do many more amazing things.
You can either warm grated carrots with oil in a slow cooker or just let dehydrated carrot slices sit in oil for several weeks. Strain off the carrot solids from the oil and store the golden carrot oil in the fridge until you are ready to use it.
Carrots come in two main varieties which are the Western (orange/yellow/white) and Eastern (red/ purple/ black) The name for every Western variety is Daucus carota subspecies sativus while the Eastern varieties are called Daucus carota subspecies atrorubens.
Benefits of Carrot Oil
Carrots are rich in nutrients such as vitamins A, C, and E, beta-carotene, and a multitude of other antioxidants. Vitamins A and E in addition to beta-carotene have wonderful conditioning properties.
They moisturizes the skin or scalp on the body, thereby building healthier hair and skin. The benefits of carrot oil is numerous, out of which are the following listed below, but are not limited to:
- Healing damaged skin
- Warding off the dreaded signs of aging
- Stimulating hair growth
- Creating luxuriously, soft-to-the-touch hair
- Improving blood circulation
- Protecting hair and skin from the damaging effects of weather, pollution, dust, sunlight,
- Chemicals, treatments, and the like
- Strengthening hair…preventing breakage
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CARROT OIL
- IT IS GREAT FOR YOUR SKIN
Carrot oil is a natural therapies use on the body because the oil extracted from the carrot contain antioxidants skin friendly nutrients which protect the skin and keep it young and hydrated.
This unique skin treatment helps in smoothing the skin, boosting complexion, clearing spots/wrinkles, combating aging, fighting inflammation which in turns gives the skin the glowing beauty it deserves.
You can apply the oil directly on your skin or mix it with your body cream or lotion. It treats any kind of skin problems.
2. IT SUPPORTS HEALTHY HAIR
Carrot oil boosts, retain and strengthens the hair growth by preventing it from breaking because it is rich in the nutrients the hair need to have a healthy growth.
It makes your hair smooth, soft, shiny, free from dandruff and hair loss. It also improves the circulation of blood to your scalp.
3. IT TREATS INFECTIONS
The oil extracted from this fruit has antiseptic properties which fight infections and protects the body from any form of microorganisms. It also prevent tetanus from entering into the body and can be applied directly on infected skin parts and open wounds.
Carrot oil is employed in the treatment of infections of the urinary tract, throat, mouth, intestines, and stomach. It is effective in the treatment of ulcers, psoriasis, carbuncles, gangrene, sores, and rashes.
Carrot essential oil can even cure viral infections like bronchitis, measles, coughs, mumps, flu, and colds.
4. IT IS A POWERFUL EMMENAGOGUE
Carrot oil is a powerful tool for solving emmenagogue. emmenagogue is a substance that makes menstruation easy and painless. Carrot oil has been deduced to makes menstrual period flow regularly without pain and disorder in the body.
5. IT AIDS DIGESTION
Carrot oil aids digestions and also acts as a natural diuretic. The oil also helps to excrete gaseous substances from the body system.
Basic Equipment Needed To Extract Carrot Oil
- Veggie peeler
- Hand grater or food processor
- Crock pot
- Fine mesh strainer or cheese cloth
- Glass mason jar
HOW TO MAKE CARROT OIL
You don’t need expensive body lotions and skin care products if you can make the carrot oil in the comfort of your home. it is safer, healthier, easier, cheaper and one of the best things you can apply on your skin.
It is important to state here that there are two major ways of preparing carrot oil or simply say there are two types of carrot oil.
- Carrot-Infused Oil
- Carrot-Macerated oil
HOW TO MAKE CARROT-INFUSED OIL
Carrot Infused Oil (Daucus carota) is used to rejuvenate and regenerate the skin. It is rich in beta-carotene, it has a beautiful deep orange colour and is one of the best cellular revitalizing oil.
Things You Will Need To Make Carrot-Infused Oil
- Vegetable peeler
- Hand grater
- Small slow cooker
- Fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Glass storage jar with a tight-fitting lid
Ingredients for Carrot-Infused Oil
- Carrots, as much as you want but if it is your first time of making carrot oil, start with a little number of carrots. You can use 2 organic carrots.
- Choose any of these oils, coconut oil, olive oil, sesame oil, or sunflower oil to cover.
PROCEDURE ON HOW TO MAKE CARROT-INFUSED OIL
Wash your carrots properly under running water or a neat bowl and peel their skin
Discard the skin and grate the carrots into fine shreds.
Put the grated carrots in a slow cooker and pour in any of the above oil of your choice into it. Make sure it covers the carrots.
Turn on the heat and set it to the lowest and leave it on for 24 to 72 hours. If your cooker has a warm setting, you can use that instead of using low.
This will enable the oil to infuse with the carrots and a sign that this is taking place is that the oil will start changing color to that of the carrot.
After the time has elapsed, strain the oil using cheesecloth in a strainer. You, first of all, place the cheesecloth in a strainer and carefully pour the oil and carrot mixture through it to strain out the solid particles.
You can discard the carrots or keep it for compost.
Store your carrot oil in a glass jar that has a tight lid. You can store it in a refrigerator and this can be stored for 6 to 8 months.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT-MACERATED OIL
The macerated carrot oil is derived from the species of cultivated carrot, Daucus carota supsp. sativa that bears the edible root we are all so familiar with. Although this process is more tedious and time consuming than the carrot infused oil.
HOW TO MAKE CARROT-MACERATED OIL SOURCE: Formula botanical
Things You Will Need To Make Carrot-Macerated Oil
- Knife and cutting board
- Large pot
- Slotted spoon
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Blender or food processor
- Dehydrator with tray, optional
- Small, fine mesh strainer
Ingredients for Carrot Macerated Oil
- A large bunch of organic carrots
- Choose any of these oils, coconut oil, olive oil, sesame oil, or sunflower oil to cover.
PROCEDURE ON HOW TO MAKE CARROT-MACERATED OIL
- Wash your carrots properly and peel their skin.
- Use a knife and cut off the green ends and then you cut them into round shapes.
- Blanche the slices of carrots for three minutes. You do this by filling a large bowl with ice water and set it close to a stove. Boil a large pot of water using high heat and put the slices of carrots into it and let it boil for three minutes.
- After that, you turn off the heat and use a large and slotted spoon to scoop the carrots and put them immediately into the icy water that is next to the stove.
- Doing this will prevent the carrots from cooking and it will help them to keep their bright orange color.
- Turn on your oven and preheat it to the lowest setting.
- Drain the carrots and arrange them on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- There should be spaces in-between each slice of carrot, this will enable air to circulate properly and dry out the carrots.
- If you have a dehydrator, you can make use of that and just put the slices of carrots on the dehydrator tray in a single layer.
FINAL PROCEDURE ON HOW TO MAKE CARROT-MACERATED OIL
- Put the baking sheet containing the carrots in the low oven and leave them to bake for 9 to 12 hours or until they are completely dried.
- If you are making use of a dehydrator, dehydrate them for 12 to 24 hours at 125 F.
Bring them out of the oven, cool them and put them in a blender containing any of the oil mentioned above. Ensure to pour enough oil so that it covers the carrots very well and blend it.
- Blend it for a minute and the oil should turn orange in color.
- Pour this oil into a jar with a tight lid and leave it to sit for 4 weeks.
- Put the jar in a cool and dry place.
- Get a mesh strainer and put a piece of cheesecloth in it. Put the strainer over a small glass jar and carefully pour the macerated oil through the sieve into the jar.
- Discard the solid or use it as compost and then you store your carrot oil in a glass jar, in a refrigerator. Make sure it is used between 6 to 8 months.
Uses Of Homemade Carrot Oil
- For skin lightening
- Removes dark spots
- Natural sunscreen
- Moisturizes skin
- Gives skin a healthy glow
- Helps in natural tanning
- Hair growth
- Makes hair shiny, soft and silky
- Promotes anti-aging and many more
How To Use Carrot Oil
How Carrot Oil strengthens Hair
As discuss in this article, it is stated that carrot oil can largely improve the strength of your hair. But to achieve that you need to apply a recipe to your hair on a regular basis.
This treatment needed to improve the hair involves the following but It is very important to follow the information clearly mentioned below in order to achieve full benefits of carrot oil.
- Take half cup of carrot oil and boil it.
- After that is done part the hair in sections and apply them directly onto your scalp.
- Once all your head is covered, begin massaging your scalp in circular manner.
- Continue this process for about 15 minutes, until you the oil is completely absorbed into scalp.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and sit under a dryer for an hour.
Thereafter wash it off thoroughly and that will be all.
Carrot Oil for Skin
Carrot oil is an important ingredient in most of the skin care products. They are capable of adding moisture or antioxidant protection to skin. There are mainly two variants of carrot oil – carrot seed oil and carrot root carrier oil.
Both are similar in nature and has same properties. They can soothe your skin and help in preventing wrinkles or stretch marks from appearing. The abundance of nutrients in carrot oil makes it a wonderful aid for taking care of your skin.
This is meant for those people who are bored with oiling their hair. For making this paste, all you need is 1-2 carrots, they need to be cut into small pieces. Mix them along with olive oil or some other essential oils. After mixing these ingredients together, heat it for around 5 minutes. After heating, blend them well by adding a little amount of curd.
Finally you will get a mixture, which looks like a smoothie!! But don’t bother drinking it, apply them gently onto your hair and leave it untouched for 30 minutes. Once the time is over, rinse it out with a good shampoo. This pre-shampoo treatment will initiate hair growth and will make your hair smooth and healthy!
How to use Carrot Oil on Skin
- As Directly : Insert 4-5 drops of carrot seed oil on a bowl and apply them gently to your skin. It is better to use them at night. This will help to reduce thin lines and wrinkles in skin.
- Carrot Shampoo Bar : Yes you heard it right! A highly effective shampoo bar can be made with the help of carrot oil, milk and honey. This shampoo can help you keep your skin smooth and moisturized at the same time.
- Create a Carrot oil Lotion : There is no other better way than applying the carrot oil all over your skin. And lotion is the best way to achieve that.
Carrot oil for skin lightening
One of carrot oil peculiarity is that it increases the resistance of the skin to sunlight. It is one of the best natural skin lighteners. So it is better to buy the cream that includes carrot oil because it function as a light sunscreen, but it ‘attracts’ a tan, so a tan becomes more smooth and beautiful
Carrot oil are mixed with walnut or sesame oil for this purpose. This oil should not be used for oily skin, prone to acne, as it increases the production of sebum. Carrot oil lightens the dark spots and helps to heal the scars.
It is effective for numerous skin diseases like psoriasis, eczema, boils, abscesses, itching, vitiligo. It cures even oozing sores which are not healing for a long time. Cosmetically, carrot oil can also be added to cream or used in a mixture with almond oil, it helps to tones skin and even removes wrinkles.
Be careful While Using Carrot Oil
- Pregnant women should not use carrot oil It could be unhealthy for the mother and child.
- People suffering from epilepsy and asthma should never use carrot oil. It is suggested it can be used for respiratory ailments, but excessive use can lead to vomiting and concussions.
- Before using carrot oil on a regular basis, put a couple of drops in an area of your skin and let it sit for one day and see if any skin irritations form. If your skin remains clear you are able to use carrot oil.
- After using the carrot oil stay indoors for two to three days or cover up your skin. Always, mix it with some type of carrier oil like coconut oil.
- Never use carrot oil excessively because you will put your health in jeopardy.
Please note: This oil is not suitable for use in salves or balms due to the use of fresh carrots during the infusion process. The water content of the carrots may cause the salve to go rancid. It is important to only use carrot oil prepared in this manner when using for direct application or in soaps and/or lotions.