Nigerian Military Speaks On Recruiting Ex-Boko Haram Fighters
Repentant Boko Haram (Image credit: Nigerian Army)

The Nigerian Military on Sunday dismissed speculation that it is recruiting repentant Boko Haram fighters into its fold.

Concise News reports that the acting Director of Defence Information, Brig.-Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, described the speculation on social media as false and misleading.

Advertise With Us

He, thus, urged Nigerians to disregard it in its entirety.

“Contrary to his claims, no Boko Haram ex-fighter has been recruited into the Nigerian military and no such plan is in the offing,” Nwachukwu said in a statement issued on Sunday evening.

“The de-radicalization, rehabilitation and reintegration programme is a Federal Government programme conducted under the auspices of Operation Safe Corridor as a non-kinetic operation.

“Nigeria’s de-radicalization model is a very effective one, targeted at low risk combatants and has become a classical example in the Lake Chad Basin Region and West Africa.”

The defence spokesperson further disclosed that over 250 repentant insurgents, who willingly abandoned their struggle and surrendered to federal troops, had been de-radicalised, rehabilitated and re-integrated into the society.

He explained that Nigeria’s de-radicalisation model was in tandem with global standard as being done in Algeria, Colombia, Pakistan and Saudi Arabia, where persons involved in violent extremism have been de-radicalised and rehabilitated.

“So far in Nigeria, the de-radicalized ex-fighters are doing well in their respective communities, as no adverse report has been recorded against the de-radicalized repentant ex-fighters by Operation Safe Corridor’s monitoring unit,” he said.

“There has not been report of molestation or harassment of any sort against them by members of the communities, where they are resettled.

“As a matter of verifiable fact, the reintegrated ex- fighters are doing well in their various endeavours and are positively impacting on their respective communities.

“It is also expedient to state, that the Federal Government of Nigeria has continued to prosecute BHT/ISWAP suspects in courts of competent jurisdiction and over 500 terrorists have so far been convicted.

“Meanwhile, the next round of prosecution of another batch of terrorism suspects is due to commence shortly.

“The Defence Headquarters reiterates its commitment to ensuring a well motivated, trained and equipped Armed Forces that is professionally responsive to national security commitments.”