Coach Manu Garba and one of his players. Source: FIFA

Vice President of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) Shehu Dikko has said that the body would review the outing of the Golden Eaglets following the team’s elimination from the 2019 U-17 FIFA World Cup in Brazil.

Nigeria were on Wednesday beaten 3-1 in a round of 16 tie after topping the Group B chart.

Advertise With Us

“Usually, you go to tournaments with target and the one we gave the technical crew is to at least reach the quarter-final of the tournament, which is fair enough considering the way they prepared for the tournament,” NFF 2nd vice president Shehu Dikko told Opera News.

“In the history of Nigeria U-17, no team has enjoyed this type of preparations. For failing to reach the target given to them their position will be reviewed immediately and it starts from asking them to submit their technical report and step down from their role for us to review and get back to them.”

Coach of the side Manu Garba was part of the Eaglets coaching crew that won the age-grade tournament in 2013 and has been criticized for not fielding the players that defeated Hungary and Ecuador in the team’s opening two matches against the Netherlands.

Technology To Blame

Meanwhile, the captain of the team Samson Tijani while speaking after the tie, apologised to Nigerian, blaming technology for the loss.

According to him, the decision of the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) to hand a late penalty to the Dutch side demoralised the Nigerians.

“We are very sorry; we as a team to the entire Nigerians,” Tijani said.  “We tried our best but the result was down to hard-luck coupled with the fact that our opponents are a very good side.

“I want to thank my teammates also; we all put our best but that’s how far God said we can go in this tournament.

“Our team had to succumb to the pressure from our opponent, we tried to calm the pressure and we were able to achieve that until the dying minutes where VAR had to suppress us with that penalty.

“That alone weakened our morale and it was already late for a come back at that minute,” said the Eaglets captain.”