Ebola: Health Workers Attacked 300 Times In DR Congo
Health workers on duty (image courtesy AFP)

Authorities in DR Congo say health workers battling Ebola in the country have been attacked 300 times, leaving six dead and 70 wounded since the start of the year in three provinces.

Concise News reports that the country declared an Ebola epidemic in August 2018 in the conflict-wracked eastern provinces of North Kivu, South Kivu and Ituri, bordering Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi.

Advertise With Us

The highly contagious fever has so far killed 2,185 people, according to the latest official figures, but health workers have faced attacks and threats.

The latest attack occurred in the early hours of Sunday after a Congolese radio host, who helped spread information in the fight against Ebola, was stabbed to death at his home in the Ituri region.

In April, a Cameroonian doctor from the World Health Organization (WHO), was shot dead in an attack on a hospital in North Kivu province.

A report from the Congolese health ministry said since January 1, 2019, there had been “more than 300 attacks on health workers” which had killed six people and injured 70 others, among them health care workers and patients.

The report also warned “each attack delays” efforts to fight Ebola as it prevents teams having to access the population to carry out planned interventions.

“In any case, the response team will continue to fight this disease with the involvement of communities and the affected population, including the support of all partners involved,” authorities said.