Nigerian Senators have insisted that the proposed recruitment of 10,000 Nigerians into the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) would go ahead despite limited funds.
Concise News reports that authorities of the NSCDC had complained that the 2020 budgetary provision for the corps could only accommodate 5,000 new employees as
against the 10,000 earlier proposed by the government.
NSCDC made its complaint known to the National Assembly joint committee on
interior, during the corps’ budget defence session held on Monday in Abuja.
However, the chairman of the committee, Senator Kassim Shettima, said, “The only way we can come in is to see how we can tinker with their budget to see that 10,000 Nigerians are actually employed.”
Shettima, commending the NSCDC, added, “The civil defence complements the efforts of the Nigeria Police Force and other sister security agencies. I was opportune to govern a state and I can assure you that the civil defence in Borno State is giving the police a run for their money.”
According to the NSCDC, approval was given by the government to recruit 10,000 Nigerians into the corps but 2.5 million applications were received from young Nigerians.
The corps further stated that only 1.5 million of the applicants are eligible for the recruitment to fill the 10,000 slots.
Commandant General of the NSCDC, Abdul Gana Mohammed, also confirmed that only 1,000 slots are available for the officers cadre of the recruitment, while the remaining slots are for the rank and file.
NSCDC bursts 2 more rehabilitation centres in Kaduna
In related news, the NSCDC, Kaduna State Command, says it has burst two more rehabilitation centres alleged of meting inhuman treatments on their inmates.
The state NSCDC Deputy Commandant, Nnegha Onyema, made the disclosure at a press briefing on Tuesday, in Kaduna.
According to Onyema, five operators of the centres, which are within Zaria Local Government area, have been arrested and 11 inmates evacuated.
Among the 11 inmates, with ages ranging between 11 years and 40 years, one is from Osun State.
Onyema said that some of the inmates had leg and hand chains on them at the time of their rescue.
The rescue operation, he said, followed the intelligence gathering efforts of the command.
“The centres, known as Malam Aliyu Mai Adakan Salatul Fatih and Marmara are both in Zaria,” he said.
According to the NSCDC chief, three of the inmates are already dead, following unbearable torture.
“One centre had released its inmates, following information that other centres had been burst, but we succeeded in arresting the operator,” he said.
He, however, said that the arrested operators, alongside the 11 victims, would be handed over to the state Ministry of Human Services and Social Development for necessary actions and prosecution.
The state Deputy Governor, Dr Hadiza Balarabe, who was at the headquarters of the NSCDC, condemned the inhuman treatment against fellow human beings.
Balarabe assured the public that government would take necessary actions against the operators.
She, however, said that the victims would be given comprehensive medical treatment and psychological support before reuniting them with their families.
The deputy governor was in company with the Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan and his counterpart in the Ministry of Human Services and Social Development, Hajia Hafsat Baba.
Baba took brief from the operators, while the inmates also narrated their ordeals to her.