Former South Africa President Jacob Zuma (photo credit: Pinterest

Former South African President Jacob Zuma will face a corruption trial, a court ruled on Friday, dismissing his application for a permanent stay of prosecution.

Zuma, who is accused of taking bribes from French defence company Thales in the 1990s, sought to have the case permanently dropped in March this year on the grounds that it was politically motivated.

Advertise With Us

But the trial is expected to begin on Tuesday after High Court judge Willie Seriti ruled that Zuma’s “application for the permanent stay is dismissed with costs”.

Concise News had reported that Zuma had alleged that he was the victim of conspiracies, years of “character assassination” and plots to kill him.

Zuma also accused unnamed foreign intelligence agencies and spies of working against him and added: “I have survived attempts to kill me.”

Zuma testified at the inquiry in Johannesburg into the so-called “state capture” scandal after previous witnesses gave damning evidence against him.

He is accused of overseeing mass looting of state assets during his nine-year tenure before being ousted by the ruling ANC party in 2018 and replaced by his deputy, Cyril Ramaphosa.

“I have been vilified, alleged to be the king of corrupt people,” he said. “I have been given every other name.”

Zuma, who will face questioning by lawyers during an appearance that could last all week, said he had been the victim of “character assassination over 20 years.”