IGP Echoes Order Notice Regarding Zakzaky's IMN
Shittes in a procession.NAN

The Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mohammed Adamu, says all activities of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria (IMN) remained proscribed in line with the Terrorism (Prevention) Proscription Order Notice of July 26.

Concise News reports that the Force Public Relations Officer (FPRO), DCP Frank Mba disclosed this in a statement on Monday in Abuja.

Advertise With Us

He said all gathering or procession by the group had remained illegal and would be treated as a gathering in the advancement of terrorism.

Mba said that the attention of the police had been drawn to plans by some members of the proscribed IMN to embark on a nationwide procession.

He said the procession is targeted at disrupting public peace, order and security in the country.

Mba said that the IGP had directed the Commissioners of Police in all the states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) to avert any planned procession and/or disruption of public peace by IMN members.

He said the IGP had also ordered all supervisory Assistant Inspectors General of Police to put in place concrete measures to prevent the procession.

The FPRO said the IGP enjoined the public to avail the police with useful information as regards the activities of the proscribed IMN.

He said the IGP also advised parents and guardians to prevail on their children and wards not to be cajoled into embarking on illegal and ill-motivated activities.

It would be recalled that in July, the Federal Government of Nigeria officially proscribed Shiite Group nationwide as terrorists.

The IMN became the second group to be proscribed by the Muhammadu Buhari administration after the Nigerian government banned a separatist group Indigenous People Of Biafra (IPOB) in late 2017.

Members of the Islamic group have at several times clashed with security operatives, majorly the police, in mostly Nigeria’s capital, Abuja, over the then detention of their leader, Sheik Ibrahim el-Zakzaky.

The IMN then proceeded to court to challenge the order obtained by the Federal Government to ban their operations.

Ibrahim Musa, the spokesman of the Movement confirmed in a statement to NAN that  “we will be in court challenging the proscription”.