Former vice-president Atiku Abubakar, on Tuesday, asked the South African government and the African Union (AU) to urgently address the ongoing xenophobic attacks on foreigners in the country.
Concise News had reported that South Africans had on Sunday begun fresh attacks, looting and burning of businesses and properties belonging to foreigners and in the process killed three people, while another is still receiving treatment for smoke inhalation.
However, the PDP presidential candidate in the 2019 election, via his verified Twitter handle, condemned the attacks on Nigerians and pointed out that if nothing is done about the attacks, it might end up destroying the fabric of African brotherhood.
He wrote: “Reported attacks against Nigerians in South Africa is unacceptable and stands condemned. Urgent steps need to be taken with the SA authorities and the African Union to bring an end to this ill wind that can only end up destroying the fabric of our African brotherhood.”
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffery Onyeama, had condemned the renewed xenophobic attacks on Nigerians living in South Africa, describing the perpetrators as mindless criminals.
The minister made this known on his verified Twitter handle @GeoffreyOnyeama after videos of the burning and looting of Nigerian businesses emerged online.
Onyeama who pledged that ‘definitive measures’ would be taken to address the situation said there was need to end the attacks.
He, however, did not say what those definite measures would be.
Onyeama had tweeted, “Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection. Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”
Concise News reports that the attacks on Nigerians are part of wider xenophobic attacks on foreigners in the rainbow nation.
The attack which was second of it within a week began on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set on fire by angry mobs.
Later on Sunday evening, some group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers attacked Jules street in Malvern, Johannesburg, looting and burning shops.
Similar violence had occurred on August 28 in Pretoria Business District as indigenes angered by the death of a taxi operator apparently thought to be killed by a Nigerian went on rampage.
The said driver was, however, allegedly killed by a Tanzanian which sparked the violence that resorted to looting of shops owned by Nigerians and some other foreigners in that country.
This online news medium reports that the government of South Africa had threatened a crackdown but has so far been unable to prevent acts of violence.