The United Nations on Wednesday revealed that Boko Haram insurgents have killed over 27,000 civilians since 2009 when the sect launched a campaign of violence.
The United Nations humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, Edward Kallon, said this at the UN building in Abuja during a remembrance of 10 years of crisis in Borno, Adamawa and Yobe states.
Kallon said rising insecurity in the country had displaced over 130,000 people with most of them seeking refuge at internally displaced persons camps.
Expressing condolences to the families of aid workers who had lost their lives in the north-east and other states, Kallon said their memories will continue to live on in the hearts of all humanitarian aid workers.
He said the humanitarian community will continue to do its best to assist those affected by crisis.
The sect has as well killed many security operatives on the battlefront.
Boko Haram insurgents are still carrying out attacks despite efforts to put them in check. On Saturday, Boko Haram fighter killed over 60 mourners in Borno.
However, presidential spokesman, Garba Shehu, on Thursday insisted that the sect had been defeated.