Governor Godwin Obaseki

Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has said that it is unconstitutional for the National Assembly to “take over” any House of Assembly in the country.

Obaseki made this known in a statement issued and signed by Secretary to the State Government, Osarodion Ogie, on Tuesday.

Advertise With Us

Concise News had reported that the Senate on Tuesday ordered Governor Godwin to issue a fresh proclamation letter on the 7th Edo House of Assembly.

It also ordered the Clerk of the Edo House of Assembly to inform all 24 members elect via electronic/print media of the new inauguration date after receiving the proclamation letter from the governor.

The Senate threatened to take over Edo assembly if the governor failed to issue another proclamation within one week.

The upper legislative chamber said section 11 (4) of the constitution empowers it to do so.

Reacting further, Obaseki warned the Senate not to allow powerful persons in the state on fire in order to satisfy their thirst for power.

He said it was unfortunate that the “Distinguished Senate” would act “in flagrant breach of various court orders” and purport to come to factual and legal conclusions concerning a matter in which the parties are already before the courts and therefore sub judice.

The statement reads: “The Edo State Government watched with alarm today as the distinguished Senate of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, in a step that was not totally unexpected, purported to pass a resolution in the following terms:

“Directing the Governor of Edo State to issue a fresh proclamation for the inauguration of the Edo State House of Assembly, and Ordering a fresh inauguration of the Edo State House of Assembly within one (1) week from the date of the said Resolution.

“As earlier mentioned, this move was not unexpected in the light of the enormous political pressure which had been brought to bear on the officers and members of the distinguished Senate by the highly placed and powerful persons who are intent on foisting their will and choices on the good people of Edo State,” he said.

The governor also noted that the Chairman and Members of the Ad-Hoc Committee of the Senate which visited Edo State were made aware of the existence of at least three (3) suits pending before various Courts wherein the factual and legal dispute regarding the Edo State House of Assembly inauguration have been submitted to the Courts by both contending parties for resolution.

According to him, the Ad-Hoc Committee also failed to inform the Senate of the existence of a valid injunction in Suit No FHC/B/OS/70/2019 wherein the Federal High Court restrained various parties from interfering in any manner with the activities of the Edo State House of Assembly which said order had been brought to their attention in the course of their visit to Edo State.