OAU
Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife (Image: Channels TV)

A student of the Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) has died after he collapsed while playing football.

Concise News reports that Omotola Akorede Kayode, a 300-level student of Microbiology, died on Friday morning after he slumped on a football pitch.

Advertise With Us

While the University authorities issued a statement saying all efforts to resuscitate the student failed, witnesses say his death was caused by ‘negligence’ at the University’s health centre, according to Premium Times.

A statement by the University Registrar, Margaret Omasule, says all medical measures taken to save the student’s life proved abortive.

“We regret to inform the university community that one of our students, a part three student in the Department of Microbiology, Omotola Akorede Kayode, died suddenly this morning, Friday, 17th of May, 2019.

“The report had it that the student was playing football with his colleagues when he suddenly slumped. He was subsequently rushed to the health centre where he was confirmed dead on arrival. All resuscitation measures proved abortive,” she says.

University’s version challenged

Students who witnessed the incident say the deceased was not ‘well attended’ to at the health centre.

One of the students who pleaded anonymity explains: “Korede collapsed on the pitch; after, he was rushed down to the health centre immediately but he wasn’t given attention.”

Another student, a friend of the deceased also corroborates.

“Korede slumped on OAU training pitch this morning. We were playing a novelty match. He was playing left back, and he was standing alone when he fell down, nobody touched him, he was standing with his fellow defenders.

“He slumped and started having breathing difficulty. We tried to give him CPR but nobody had much knowledge about it. Just after a few minutes, he was rushed to the health centre immediately in a fellow student’s car.

“He was still alive and fighting to catch his breath when we got to the health centre. He died at the health centre and not before getting there.”