Valverde’s position as the head coach of Barcelona has been under scrutiny after the Champions League 4-0 loss and elimination away to Liverpool.
Although, there is a possibility coach Ernesto Valverde could yet continue for a third season at the Catalan club, but Ronald Koeman and Erik ten Hag are said to have been lined-up for the managerial role at Camp Nou next season.
President Josep Maria Bartomeu promised a “deep reflection” when he spoke straight after the final whistle, but said the club would have conversations in the days ahead to analyse the events at Anfield.
Some of the board are keen for Valverde to be sacked, with the club considering replacements. Xavi Hernandez, who has recently retired from playing, is seen as an ideal choice in the long term but not ready to take over at this stage.
Barca would like to appoint a coach who knows the club and Netherlands boss Koeman, a legend at Camp Nou from his playing days, is currently the leading candidate to succeed Valverde.
Ajax coach Ten Hag is also under consideration following his impressive season with the Dutch giants, narrow losers to Tottenham in the Champions League semi-finals, having previously knocked out both Real Madrid and Juventus in the previous rounds.
Ten Hag is thought to be a good fit in style terms, while both he and Koeman have worked with Frenkie de Jong – who will arrive at Barca in the summer – and defender Matthijs de Ligt – likely to follow his team-mate to Camp Nou at the end of the season.
But Barca has not made a definitive decision on Valverde and there was relative calm at Camp Nou on Sunday as the Blaugrana beat Getafe 2-0 in La Liga.
Before the game, Valverde had revealed he wanted to continue. “I feel strong and I’m fine,” he said. “I am keen to take a step forward.” And asked afterwards if he had thought about tendering his resignation, he replied: “No.”
Bartomeu and the rest of the board met on Monday to discuss the events of last week and how to act in the immediate future, but that reunion brought only a message of togetherness.
In a statement posted on their website, Barca thanked the fans and members who had travelled to Liverpool, as well as showing their gratitude for the support in the game against Getafe and calling for focus and the full support of everyone ahead of the Copa del Rey final versus Valencia on May 25.