These are the top JAMB news headlines for today:
Registrar of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) on Saturday said the examination body withheld results of 49,265 candidates that sat for the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) due to various infractions.
JAMB registrar Professor Is-haq Oloyede made this known while announcing the release of the results on Saturday in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.
Registrar of the examination body, Professor Is-haq Oloyede, announced the release of the results on Saturday morning in Abuja.
The JAMB boss said that due to various infractions the board withheld the results of 49,265 for various infractions.
Registrar of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board JAMB Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, says the examination would release the 2019 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) results on Saturday, May 11.
Oloyede made this known on Friday during a chat with journalists in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital.
learned that details of the results would be announced by 10 a.m.
“We are releasing our results tomorrow (Saturday). we are having a meeting today to consider what to put out,” he said.
More than 1.2 million candidates sat for the 2019 UTME from April 11 to April 18.
Since then, the board has not released the results, with candidates increasingly getting apprehensive.
But the examination body had explained that it would first screen the entire candidates’ results to weed out those who were involved in any form of malpractice during the examination.
Meanwhile, Concise News understands that the registrar has paraded a staff of the board, who allegedly collected N25,000 from a 2018 admission seeker.
Oloyede said the suspect was reported to the JAMB management after he couldn’t meet the demand.
“We are not hiding anything; we are ready to deal with anybody caught and they must face the wrath of the law,” he said.
Respected Nigerian lawyer and educationist, Chief Afe Babalola (SAN), has appealed to the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) to release the results of its recently conducted Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) 2019.
Concise News reports that Chief Babalola made this plea in a statement released not too long ago.
While expressing his institution, Afe Babalola University’s concern over the delay in releasing the result of the last JAMB UTME conducted between April 11 and 18, 2019, he sympathised with parents and children whose results are being withheld because of the misdeeds of others.
Part of his statement reads:
“I will like to appeal to JAMB to do the best it could to fast-track its on-going commendable biometric verification exercise and release the results of its recently conducted examinations so that when we are combating the fraudsters, the innocent parents and children do not suffer.”
The Founder and Chancellor of Afe Babalola University, Ado-Ekiti, Chief Afe Babalola, has thrown his support behind the current Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB’s) ‘war’ against admission fraudsters, saying that the board should be more pragmatic about its approach so as to comply with the best international practices.
Concise News reports that Afe Babalola who made this known in a statement, expresses concern about the country’s public university’s academic calendar, which most times have been affected by strike actions, thus bringing Nigeria’s education to its knees.
According to him, “For instance, all over the world, the university academic calendar is usually between September and June. But the case is different with public universities in Nigeria where the pandemic strike actions afflicting Nigeria’s educational landscape has almost become a ritual with one strike action taking off no sooner than another one that has just been called off, thereby nearly bringing the nation to its knees, educationally speaking.
“Everywhere all over the world, universities are established for learning and character. This is one of the main reasons why we whole-heartedly support the current JAMB war against admission fraudsters.”