AfDB – established in 1964 – is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
AfDB is recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Quality Officer
Location: Côte d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50069661
- The Senior Vice-Presidency is responsible for supporting the President in the day-to-day management of the Bank Group to achieve its strategic objective and drive performance culture that will align all processes and systems to deliver high impact results.
- The Senior Vice-Presidency will provide effective leadership and exceptional coordination to ensure implementation and monitoring of key corporate decisions as well as the identification of necessary corrective measures and actions.
- The Senior Vice-Presidency will lead senior management discussions, decision-making processes and the implementation of key Board and Management Decisions.
The Hiring Department
- Located within the Senior Vice-Presidency Complex, the Department in charge of Quality Assurance and the Operations Committee Secretariat works to continuously enhance the quality and timely delivery of Bank operations. The Department coordinates and supports the Bank’s global efforts towards sharpening the country focus, strategic selectivity and quality of the Bank’s operations.
- The Quality Assurance (QA) Division is the operations support unit of the African Development Bank (AfDB) that focuses on enhancing and mainstreaming the quality and result-focus of the Bank’s strategies and operations. More specifically, the Division (i) sets quality standards for the Bank’s interventions; (ii) develops and strengthens tools and processes throughout the operation cycle; and (iii) enhances staff capacities and facilitating operations related knowledge.
The main objectives of the position are to:
- Support the Bank’s increasingly strong focus on the quality of its operations and therefore their development impact, through quality assurance and enhancement activities.
- Build and disseminate operations related knowledge, including on the effective use of quality assurance tools, and on the drivers of quality and results in Bank operations.
- Spearhead delivery of Operations Academy, the new learning platform for operations staff.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Division Manager, Quality Assurance, the Chief Quality Officer will be responsible for:
- Quality Assurance and Enhancement. Conducting and coordinating quality assurance of Bank sovereign operations and country strategies, and in specific cases providing or coordinating proactive support to task teams to enhance quality.
- Tools and Guidelines. Leading or contributing to periodic review and update of quality assurance tools and guidance, including those related to project quality-at-entry, implementation and closure.
- Operations Academy. Spearhead the development, institutionalization, and updating of the Operations Academy as the main online learning tool for the Bank’s operations staff.
- Staff learning and coaching. Spearhead staff development activities, including in the areas of quality assurance and results-based management. This includes the development of curricula and training materials on various aspects of Bank operations, facilitation of workshops and learning events for Bank staff and Management.
- Knowledge management and communication. Lead key knowledge dissemination and communication activities, including those based on analytical work produced by the division and sharing of good practices.
- Special assignments. Lead on or contribute to specific studies, analytical work, and events related to operations quality, as required.
- Relationship management. Maintain and build effective working relationships with staff of regional and sector departments, including country offices, as well as key technical support departments to ensure Bank-wide ownership/internalization and effective application of quality assurance tools. Work closely with other departments in charge of staff training and development.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Economics, Development Studies or related disciplines.
- Have a minimum of seven (7) years of relevant professional experience gained in an operations department as task manager in charge of project preparation and implementation and/or portfolio management.
- Strong knowledge and practical experience of operations policies, procedures, and review processes of multilateral development banks or other development agencies.
- Experience as a trainer, facilitator or instructor for workshops and learning events. Experience with e-learning course development would be an asset.
- Familiarity with and practical experience of results-based approaches in the international development context.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to tailor written and verbal communication for a range of audiences.
- Strong team leadership, project management and coaching skills.
- Ability to work with multidisciplinary teams; proven innovation, creativity and client orientation.
- Having private sector experience will be an added advantage.
- Strong behavioural competencies, especially in line with the key performance drivers below:
- Problem Solving
- Client Orientation
- Team Working and Relations
- Innovation and Creativity
- Operational effectiveness
- Ability to work in French and/or English, with a working knowledge of the other language.
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software (Word, Excel, SAP, PowerPoint, MS Project).
Application Deadline 7th June 2019.
Job Title: Division Manager- Financial Reporting
Location: Cote d’Ivoire
Position N°: 50092461
- The Vice Presidency for Finance (FIVP) oversees the financial management of the Bank Group. This encompasses the Bank Group’s treasury activities including borrowings from the capital markets and investment activities; controllership functions including financial reporting and loan administration; strategic resource mobilization and the strengthening of the non-statutory financial resources and instruments; the overall asset/liability management for the Bank Group.
The Hiring Department:
- The Financial Reporting Division (FIFC1) is responsible for, among others, accounting for all Bank Group’s financial transactions, the Bilateral Funds and the Special Funds.
- In addition to the financial statements for all these reporting entities, the Division prepares special reports and analyses and other reports, including those for the Asset and Liability Management Committee (ALCO) for Management and the Board, and for external stakeholders
- The Division Manager- FIFC.1 facilitates the entire process of preparing accurate and relevant periodic financial statements for internal and external use. Ensures that reports and documentation comply with Bank regulations, professional standards, and IFRS reporting guidelines.
- And is also ensuring that:
- The production of decision-useful information that is accurate, relevant, and timely on all transactions entered into by the Bank.
- Institute processes and procedures to ensure that financial reporting is reliable and in compliance with best practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision and guidance of the Director – FIFC, the Division Manager – FIFC.1 will be responsible to:
- Lead the Bank Group’s financial reporting team in the preparation of annual, quarterly and monthly financial information.
- Plan and supervise the activities of the reporting division by determining the objectives of the division’s annual work program and allocating tasks accordingly; appraising and evaluating staff potential and performance; and determining training needs.
- Ensure compliance of the Bank’s financial reports with the appropriate reporting standards. Monitor and ensure timely compliance with evolving accounting standards. Interpret financial reporting standards and prepare technical memorandums that document issues in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner. Lead research on technical accounting issues for new, complex, or unusual transactions, and communicate/document the Bank’s accounting treatment for such transactions.
- Lead the preparation and/or review of accounting policies, performing research on peers, implementing new accounting standards, etc. Communicate and explain accounting issues and evolving accounting principles to management and the Board.
- Liaise directly with the external auditors for the audit of financial statements and related internal controls reviews. Act as a key interface between the external auditors and other corporate functions (e.g., financial management, treasury, internal audit etc.). Manage communications with external auditors on financial statements and accounting issues to ensure auditors concurrence.
- Work continuously to improve the quality of financial statements and benchmark all reports to those of peers.
- Work with business units and support groups to ensure that all Bank Group reports are comprehensive and accurate.
- Oversee the development and maintenance of suitable accounting information software infrastructure for the Bank.
- Inculcate best practices in the Bank processes and help identify areas of improvement; assist with documentation of policies and procedures where appropriate
- Perform continuous assessment of the financial close process and implement process re-engineering to improve on the timeliness of all financial reports.
- Participate in the analysis and formulation of financial policies and practices of the Bank Group and provide guidance to staff on technical accounting matters.
- Advise the Director and other senior officials of the Bank on financial and accounting issues.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience:
- Hold at least a Master’s degree or its equivalent in Accounting, Finance, Audit, Business Administration, or Banking and membership of an internationally recognized professional accounting body (e.g., CA, CPA, ACCA or Chartered Accountant)
- Audit experience in a large international accounting firm
- Have a minimum of eight (8) years’ experience with financial reporting in a similar organization
- Excellent knowledge of IFRS combined with the ability to research and propose positions on complex accounting issues
- Proficiency in the use of SAP S/4 HANA Finance, SUMMIT and Numerix
- Highly numerate and analytical skills
- Experience working in a multicultural environment
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) in English or French, preferably with a working knowledge of the other language
- Competence in the use of standard software (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
Application Deadline 8th June 2019.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply
Note: This position is a classified international status and attracts international terms and conditions of employment.