Concise News reports that the Californian-based Mexican is not intimidated by Joshua’s imposing appearance ahead of their battle for the British star’s WBA ‘super’ IBF and WBO belts at Madison Square Garden on June 1.
Ruiz Jr warmed up with a stoppage of Alexander Dimitrenko last month, extending his record to 32 wins, with just the solitary points defeat in a WBO title fight with Joseph Parker, and the 29-year-old firmly believes he can topple Joshua.
“He’s a champion of the world,” Ruiz Jr told Sky Sports. “There’s nothing that I can say bad about him, besides that he’s big but you know what, I’m big too and it doesn’t really [matter] how big you are in this game. I’m a big fighter, a combination fighter, so I’m here to win.
“A lot of people underestimate me as I said, the way that I look, my appearance, but as soon as they see me throw punches.
“I’m going to pull out the upset and June 1 tune in, two big heavyweights bashing their face up, and that’s the main thing.”
Asked for a message to the champion, Ruiz Jr replies: “Anthony, don’t underestimate this little fat boy. I’m coming for you, just tune in man, you’re going down.”
After his recent win, Ruiz Jr has maintained his sharpness and stamina in the gym and reveals how he requested promoter Eddie Hearn to select him from the shortlist of opponents for Joshua.
“It means a lot. This is my opportunity, my second chance to make history, become the first Mexican heavyweight champion,” says Ruiz Jr.
“I’ve been training really hard, we haven’t stopped training. The main thing is to stay focused and stick to the game plan and get that win on June 1.
“It’s kind of overwhelming, everything that happened really fast, but I’m still excited, really happy, really blessed.
“Contacting Eddie Hearn to make the fight, I think I was pressuring him a little bit, but we got the fight done. This is what I wanted and I’m happy that we’re here.”
Ruiz Jr became an option after original opponent, Jarrell Miller was ruled out due to drug test failure.