Zamfara Council of Chiefs had alleged that the recent air strikes conducted by NAF Air Task Force for Operation DIRAN MIKIYA killed only innocent civilians in the areas attacked and not bandits.
But the air force urged anyone with evidence that innocent civilians were killed by the security outfit during air strikes.
“As far as I am concerned and as the head of government in the state, l haven’t seen anything wrong done by the air force, l haven’t received any brief on such matter,” the governor said when a 7-member investigation team on the matter visited him at his Talata-Mafara private residence.
“Dumburum has been a criminal hideout for over three years and the Emir of Zurmi has once asked me to go and wipe out the area saying all those residing there were bandits, so l am surprised that the emir will be part of those saying innocent people were killed in an encounter in the area.”
The governor, who said some ‘powers’ were working against the state, maintained that “some people will stay in Abuja and fabricate things against the operations in Zamfara in order to distract the operation, this we must not allow.
“Please, all security agencies especially the air force should continue with your usual constitutional duties and the state government will give you all the support to facilitate your concentration in trying to bring back peace which has eluded the state since 2007.
“You should continue with the firepower to show the criminals that there is a government in place and we won’t negotiate with them again because when we did that in the past, the leaders pretended as if all was well while they allowed their boys to continue to lay siege on the communities.”
Concise News had reported that no fewer than 50 persons, including members of the Civilian Joint Task Force, were last week Tuesday killed in Zamfara state, northwest Nigeria.