Lt. General Tukur Yusuf Buratai

The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai, has said that the Nigerian Army was still in search of the remaining abducted Chibok girls.

He also reiterated that Boko Haram activities have been confined to Lake Chad and the Sambisa forest.

Advertise With Us

Buratai stated this on Monday while delivering the maiden lecture of the Centre for Contemporary Security Affairs at the Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State.

The Army chief said President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration had fulfilled the pledge to support the MNJTF by donating the sum of $100 million.

He identified porous borders, large space of operational environment, insufficient international support, among others as the challenges militating the fight against insurgency.

Buratai said: “One of the silent but radical changes in the operations was changing the orientation and mindset of troops from a defensive to an offensive posture. We also created the Theatre Command to coordinate the activities of the divisions involved in the operations.”

“Socio-economic activities and free movement of people and goods have resumed in many areas. Significant improvements can be attributed to the systematic campaign led by the Army in conjunction with other security and elements of national power.

“Success recorded so far is an indication that for Nigeria’s democracy to be consolidated, the military must not only play its part but must also fulfil the constitutional roles assigned to them.”