Spokesman for the air force, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, who made the request in a statement on Friday, said NAF finds it mischievous that anyone would spread such information without fact.
Zamfara Council of Chiefs had alleged that the recent air strikes conducted by NAF Air Task Force for Operation DIRAN MIKIYA killed only innocent civilians in the areas attacked and not bandits.
“The NAF finds such reports rather ridiculous because most of the locations attacked are within the Rugu, Sububu and Kagara Forests general area, which are known bandits hideouts that have been attacked in the past, without any outcry,” Daramola said in the statement.
“Besides, the NAF target selection process for air operations is particularly rigorous and methodical in order to ensure proper target identification and thereby prevent strikes on wrong locations.”
According to him, the locations attacked from April 8 to 11 were selected based on human intelligence (HUMINT) reports obtained from security agencies and other government sources, traditional and community leaders as well as reliable, vetted informants.
The spokesman said to further ensure this, as standard practice, NAF attack aircraft on air interdiction missions were accompanied by ISR platforms that guided them to designated targets.
Concise News had reported that no fewer than 50 persons, including members of the Civilian Joint Task Force, were last week Tuesday killed in Zamfara state, northwest Nigeria.
Several attacks have also been reported in neigbouring Sokoto, Kaduna as well as Benue.
To this end, President Muhammadu Buhari, Thursday, April 11, mandated the nation’s security agencies to deal ruthlessly with ‘bandits’ attacking several areas in the country.