The University of Lagos (UNILAG) has denied handing an honorary degree to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Five Star Music, E-Money.
Concise News had reported that E-Money whose real name is Emeka Okonkwo had last week posted on his Instagram handle that he has been awarded an honorary Doctorate Degree in Business Management and Corporate Governance at an event held at UNILAG.
View this post on Instagram
To God be the glory! I have just received a Honorary Doctorate Degree in Business Management and Corporate Governance from the European-American University at an event that held inside the University of Lagos. . I'm joined here by the incoming Deputy Governor of Lagos, Dr Obafemi Hamzat whose father, Olatunji Hamzat (an influential politician) also bagged a Doctorate Degree. . Congratulations to all Honourees!!!
However, a statement by the school has refuted that report, noting that E-Money was never part of those conferred with an honorary degree.
The statement read that “The University of Lagos, #UnilagNigeria , on Thursday, April 4, 2019, at its 50th (2018) Convocation Ceremonies (Day 3), conferred Distinguished & Emeritus Professorship and Honorary Doctorate Degrees on the following eminent personalities:
1. Prof. James Dele Olowokudejo, a Professor of Plant Taxonomy, – Distinguished Professorship award.
2. Prof. Sulaiman A. Adekola of the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering – Emeritus Professorship award
3. Alhaji Lateef Olufemi Okunnu, a foremost Lawyer & a former Federal Commissioner for Works & Housing- Honorary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University.
4. Dr. Daniel K. Olukoya, founder of Mountain of Fire Miracles Ministries and a Molecular Geneticist – Honorary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University.
5. Mr. Jim Ovia, founder and Chairman of ZenithBank – Honourary Doctorate Degree (Honoris Causa) of the University of Lagos.
“It is worthy to note that the afore-mentioned personalities are the only people who were conferred with these awards by the University of Lagos at the 50th Convocation Ceremonies, thus, any story stating otherwise is false and should be amended accordingly.”