Despite protest from the Europe’s football’s governing body, Fifa have voted to change the format of the Club World Cup, beginning from June and July of 2021.
The body, on their official website, revealed that the council of world football’s governing body passed the vote 25-7 on Friday.
Fifa said: “24 teams will be split into eight groups of three teams each, with the group winners to qualify for the quarter-finals in a knockout format.”
Concise News gathered that the idea is for the new-look competition to take the place of the Confederations Cup on the Fifa calendar. Further discussions will take place to sort out a match schedule and venue.
Fifa president Gianni Infantino said: “Now the world will see a real Club World Cup where fans will see the best teams in the world compete to be crowned the real world champions.”
Despite Infantino getting his plan ratified, the proposal had already been generating controversy even before the vote.
Some of the biggest clubs on the continent, including Premier League trio Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United, have threatened to refuse to take part, according to The Sun’s Martin Lipton.