The Buhari Campaign Organisation (BCO) on Sunday blasted the Coalition of Political Parties (CUPP) over a suit asking that President Muhammadu Buhari be declared medically unfit to re-contest the presidential election.
The BCO through a statement by its Director of Communications and Strategic Planning, Mallam Gidado Ibrahim, said the opposition parties were merely diverting attention from their looming defeat.
Ibrahim said: “Severally, we have had cause to draw the attention of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to the fact that the opposition in the country had been flouting the commission’s rules of engagement in the campaigns by spreading fake news and making inciting remarks.
“The same opposition elements who had prayed for President Muhammadu Buhari’s death while on medical vacation in London claims it has gone to court to challenge the president’s health.
“This is part of their strategy to cover up for their lack of clear-cut manifesto to engage the ruling party in constructive campaign for the 2019 elections.
“But the character of their mental indolence is understood. They are disappointed to see President Buhari on the roof of his car campaigning and attracting huge crowd everywhere he goes to campaign.
“But we invite more cerebral Nigerians to be the judge here by ascertaining whether CUPP’s latest outburst and the suit it claimed it filed are not a reflection of their mental unfitness.”
CUPP recently approached a court for an order to disqualify President Muhammadu Buhari from contesting the February 16 Presidential election.
In a statement, Ikenga Ugochinyere, CUPP spokesman, said Buhari is “mentally and physically unfit” to rule Nigeria.
The coalition gave reasons for its submission, saying the president “goofed” at his “uninspiring” re-election campaigns in Delta and Kogi state.
CUPP also made reference to Buhari’s absence at the presidential debate organised by the Nigeria Election Debate Group, adding that Yemi Osinbajo, the vice president, had to “come to his rescue” at a town hall meeting that held recently.
“We are…seeking from the Court an Order disqualifying President Muhammadu Buhari from contesting the election to the office President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and an injunction restraining INEC from recognising his candidacy,” the statement read.
“Nigerians will also be glad to know that to prove that we are on the right path, we are also asking the court to grant an order directing President Buhari to make public the results of the medical examination which we ask that he be subjected to so that no citizen will be in doubt that we are saving the country from calamity by taking these steps.”
“Opposition political parties have carefully studied President Muhammadu Buhari over the months, especially since his return to the country after the sickness that took him out of Nigeria for the better part of 2017, and have come to the conclusion that he is no longer mentally and physically fit to lead a nation like ours in this century.
“We have come to the conclusion that re-electing Buhari will only empower members of the cabal that his wife admitted has hijacked his Presidency to rule us for another four years from the dark.
“In order to save this great nation the disaster that will follow if President Buhari is in a rare happenstance re-elected, we the opposition political parties have therefore filed litigation in court seeking to declare him unfit to contest for 2019 election because of his mental instability.”