Real Madrid’s Luka Modric on Monday beat former teammate Cristiano Ronaldo to win the 2018 Ballon d’Or award.
Modric led Croatia to a second place finish at the 2018 World Cup in Russia and won three Champions League crown on the trot with the Spanish La Liga side.
These are five things you may not know about the former Tottenham man:
- Modric was born in a village called Modric
- He was caught up in the Croatian Independence War in 1991 when he was six years
- Modric’s grandfather was killed by the local Croatian Serb rebels
- After this, his family moved out of the area to stay as refugees in a hotel in Zadar
- He got married to Vanja Bosnic in May 2010 in the Croatian city of Zagreb in a private ceremony and they have three kids: son Ivano and two daughters Ema and Sofia.