Ex-Cameroon star Patrick Mboma has said he is “battered” by the Confederation of African Football (Caf) stripping of his country the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations hosting rights.
Caf had last week stripped the Central African nation of the hosting rights due to security and infrastructure issues.
Speaking on the development, Mboma, who won the 2000 and 2002 Afcon, as well as a gold medal at the 2000 Olympics, said: “Me, who was thinking June 15, 2019 was in 197 days. It’s a tough one for us. I feel battered. I am in anger. It’s a shame.
“How did this escape us? Why? Who do we blame now? I think it’s time to sit down and mull over what really went wrong.”
He also said: “Football is life in Cameroon. It’s a big blow to everybody: players, fans and officials. I don’t know what we are learning from this.”
CaF had since told countries interested to host the tournament to submit their applications within 21 days.