Discos React To Obaseki's Row With BEDC Boss
File Image: Businessamlive

The Association of Nigerian Electricity Distributors (ANED) has lamented Governor Godwin Obaseki’s treatment to the Managing Director of the Benin Electricity Distribution Company (BEDC) Funke Osibodu.

Obaseki had on Tuesday ordered Osibodu out of his office for “failing to meet obligations to electricity consumers in Edo and throwing the state into darkness for weeks.”

Advertise With Us

This happened as the governor received members of the House of Representatives Committee on Power at the Government House.

And in a statement on Thursday, ANED described the development as “unfortunate.”

According to the Executive Director for Research and Advocacy, ANED, Sunday Oduntan, “What is most unfortunate about the whole episode is that there is a misunderstanding about how the power sector works and this has led to the governor’s unfair expectations from the BEDC.

“With the upcoming elections and everyone looking for scapegoats, I cannot also rule out that local politics may be involved in this case and that is highly unfortunate.”

He said, “However, he needs to understand that the power generated at Azura or any other power plant in the country for that matter is first sent to the national grid from where it is redistributed to different Discos for distribution to customers,” he added.

In addition, he noted that it is “More interesting is the fact that out of this nine percent, over 40 percent of it is distributed within Edo State as the host community of the Disco. The other three states in the franchise area – Delta, Ekiti, and Ondo – share the remaining 60 percent.

“You can clearly see, therefore, that Edo State enjoys the lion share of what the Disco gets already. To allocate more to Edo – which is what the governor is advocating – will be grossly unfair to the other states.”

Oduntan said it was “unfair to attack a Disco that is on record as having the highest number of prepaid meters in the country all in a bid to ensure customers get value for their money as well as to end the practice of estimated billing within its franchise area.”