Good morning Nigeria and welcome to the concise roundup of top 10 Nigerian newspapers headlines today, Sunday, Nov.25th.
President Muhammadu Buhari has expressed deep shock over the killing of Nigerian soldiers in Metele village of Borno State by Boko Haram terrorists. Reacting to the tragic incident through his media aide, Garba Shehu, the President on Saturday said his administration remains ever committed and focused on the security of military personnel and other citizens.
Gunmen suspected to be Boko Haram members kidnapped 15 girls overnight in a village near Toumour, southeastern Niger, the local mayor said on Saturday. Boukar Mani Orthe, the mayor of the town in Niger’s Diffa region near the border with Nigeria, said about 50 unidentified armed men seized the girls in a village about nine kilometres from the town centre.
A former Head of State retired Gen. Abdulsalami Abubakar on Friday in Jos, Plateau State, asked Nigerians to vote out incompetent leaders during the 2019 elections rather than just relax and complain of hardship. The former military leader spoke at the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies, Kuru, during the 2018 Distinguished Annual Lecture for Senior Executive Course 40 participants.
Nigeria’s Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo says the problem with Africa’s most populous country is finding honest people in positions of authority. Osibanjo made this comment on Friday in Enugu during a book presentation by a former governor of Enugu state, Sullivan Chime.
The Nigerian Army has threatened to sue individuals or groups spreading “fake videos of purported Boko Haram attacks” that aims to undermine national security. The army in a statement on Saturday said that it “continued to observe with great dismay the myriads of photos and video clips being recklessly distributed on various social media platforms by different calibre of persons” noting that such undermined the national security.
A secessionist group in Nigeria, the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has listed eleven states where the 2019 general elections will not hold. Comrade Emma Powerful, the Media and Publicity Secretary of IPOB, made this known in a statement after the rally of the group on Friday.
The Sultan of Sokoto, Sa’ad Abubakar, has urged Nigerians to hold President Muhammadu Buhari to his words on the conduct of a free, fair and credible general election in 2019. Abubakar made the statement at the 2018 second general meeting of Nigeria Inter-Religious Council (NIREC) youth wing summit on Saturday.
The self-acclaimed leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu, has berated the Nigerian Army over an attack on a military formation by Boko Haram which led to the death of a large number of Nigerian soldiers. Reacting to the attack during a live broadcast on Saturday, Kanu lampooned the army for not providing air support to the soldiers, stressing that there was air support when the army attacked his community last year.
Nigeria’s immediate past President Goodluck Jonathan has recalled his very final moments as the number one citizen of the country. Speaking in his new book, “My Transition Hours”, the former President recalled how he ended up at the Eagle Square as a common citizen after handing over to his successor, Muhammadu Buhari on May 29, 2015.
Nigeria progressed to the semi-finals of the 2018 AWCON following a 6-0 win over Equatorial Guinea at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium on Saturday. The defending champions finished second in Group B with six points, one point adrift of South Africa after three games. The Super Falcons will face Cameroon on Tuesday at the Accra Sports Stadium.
That’s the roundup of top 10 Nigerian newspapers headlines this morning. More Nigerian newspapers headlines are available on Concise News website. See you again tomorrow.