Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor on Thursday revealed the person who ordered the killing of Jamal Khashoggi was the head of the negotiating team sent to repatriate him.
The prosecutor, Shaalan al-Shaalan, also said that the whereabouts of Khashoggi’s body remained unknown.
The prosecutor told reporters in Riyadh that investigations were still ongoing to locate the remains of the slain journalist.
Al-Shaalan had earlier said he was seeking the death penalty for five out of 11 suspects charged with the murder of Khashoggi.
He said 11 out of 21 suspects had been indicted and that their cases would be referred to court, while the investigation with the remaining suspects would continue in order to determine their role in the crime.
Khashoggi, a critic of Saudi policy, was killed in the country’s Istanbul consulate on October 2.
He was killed after a struggle by a lethal injection dose and his body was dismembered and taken out of the building, Shaalan told reporters in Riyadh.
Saudi Arabia had offered numerous contradictory explanations for Khashoggi’s disappearance before saying he was killed in a rogue operation.