Google CEO Sundar Pichai

The CEO of Google, Sundar Pichai, said the company would overhaul its sexual harassment policies, meeting some of the demands of employees who organized historic walkouts across the globe.

A New York Times investigation revealed that the tech firm gave a $90m payout to a top executive after determining that sexual misconduct allegations against him were credible.

Advertise With Us

The revelations sparked intense backlash and reignited concerns about discrimination and abuse in Silicon Valley.

In an email to staff on Thursday, Pichai said Google would end forced arbitration for sexual misconduct claims, revamp its investigations process, share data on harassment claims and outcomes, and provide new support systems for people who come forward.

The announcement is a notable achievement for employees who organized roughly 20,000 workers to walk out of the corporation’s offices across 50 cities last week.

“We recognize that we have not always gotten everything right in the past and we are sincerely sorry for that. It’s clear we need to make some changes,” Pichai wrote.