Boko Haram fighters reportedly killed six soldiers on Thursday last week at Azare village in Gujba area of Yobe state.
Reports say the attack followed the arrest of three suspected Boko Haram members who went to the village to charge their mobile phones.
“Three suspected insurgents came to Azare village to charge their cell phones and the dwellers informed the soldiers stationed in the village and they were arrested,” a source said.
“Later in the day, the terrorists mobilized and attacked the troops thereby killing six soldiers and carted their rifles.”
It was also gathered that troops and members of a vigilante group quickly mobilised and trailed the attackers, leading to the destruction of their camp.
The incident has now led to a temporary closure of Buni-Yadi- Magza-Biu road.
However, spokesman for the 27 Task Force Brigade in Buni Yadi, Major Alimi has denied the report, saying that there was no attack on the troops.
He said: “There was nothing like an attack on the troops, maybe somebody is misleading you. As I am talking to you right now, I am in Buni Yadi.
“Had it being there was something like that, I would have confirmed to you.”
Meanwhile, a soldier with the brigade has lamented the killing of many soldiers in the North East by Boko Haram. He said “We are fighting a battle that will never end, a dangerous battle. They always come heavy on us. We are trying, but we are losing more soldiers. I have lost a number of my colleagues and friends in a few days.”