President Muhammadu Buhari Campaign Organisation has reacted to a viral letter by “Buhari Campaign Organisation”.
In a statement on Friday, Festus Keyamo, the campaign spokesman, said the letter was addressed to the Ministry of Power, Works and Housing soliciting for jobs for certain named companies in order to “cushion the financial pressure on the Organisation.”
The spokesman said the letter does not have the authority or mandate of President Muhammadu Buhari to solicit or raise funds from public institutions, corporate bodies or individuals for any campaign activity whatsoever.
His words: “This is also a notice to all such public institutions not to honour any such requests as the one from the amorphous “Buhari Campaign Organisation”, he said.
“As previously announced, the ONLY approved campaign organisation of the President is the President Muhammadu Buhari Campaign Organisation headed by His Excellency, Rt. Hon. Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi as the Director-General. A Campaign Council would also be announced in due course.
“We also wish to re-iterate for the umpteenth time that President Muhammadu Buhari and his campaign organisation WILL NOT have recourse to the public coffers or public funds to run the campaign. We intend to make a complete departure from past practices of the main opposition where they looted the public treasury to run their campaigns.
“We also wish to use this opportunity to inform all Buhari support groups to get in touch with the Campaign Headquarters of President Muhammadu Buhari Campaign Organisation at Plot 718 Herbert Macaulay Way, Central Business District, Abuja in order for their activities to be streamlined.
“We shall not tolerate any individual or groups, purporting to act on behalf of the President, going round Ministries, corporate bodies or individuals to raise funds for the campaign. Such individual or groups would be handed over to law-enforcement agencies.”