The immediate past governor of Ekiti state, Ayodele Fayose, is still being interrogated by the EFCC, more than 24 hours after he willingly arrived the commission’s headquarters in Abuja.
On why the anti-graft agency has not released him, spokesman for the EFCC, Wilson Uwujaren, said: “we are still within range. We are not keeping him but interrogating him.”
The former governor is being probed based on allegations he received N1.3bn from the Office of the National Security Adviser through the then Minister of State for Defence, Senator Musiliu Obanikoro in 2014.
The funds were said to be part of the N4.7bn allegedly handed to Obanikoro by the then National Security Adviser, Col. Sambo Dasuki (retd.).
Fayose’s tenure ended on Monday, and he had on Saturday, presented “Hand-over Note’’ to his successor, Kayode Fayemi, who was inaugurated on Tuesday.
He thereafter honoured the invitation by the commission on Tuesday after losing his immunity from prosecution and arrest.
On his arrival, Fayose said: “I am here in line with my promise that I will be here on the 16th of October.
“And, like I said to EFCC, they should await my arrival. They had been to my house; they cordoned off my street which I feel personally was unnecessary. It is unwarranted.
“I had led Ekiti, and the best I could give, I have given. Therefore, every question, whatever they need to ask, I will be able to respond appropriately.”