Real Madrid president Florentino (image courtesy AFP)

Real Madrid say they will take legal action against Correio da Manha, the newspaper in Portugal that published a story alleging that the club asked Cristiano Ronaldo to pay off Kathryn Mayorga.

Mayorga has accused the football star of sexually assaulting her inside a suite at the Palms Hotel and Casino in Las Vegas in 2009.

Advertise With Us

The newspaper had reported that Real Madrid pressured Ronaldo, who was on the verge of joining the Spanish side from Manchester United at the time, to reach the out-of-court financial settlement agreed with Mayorga the following January.

On Wednesday, Ronaldo’s Las Vegas-based attorney said his client “vehemently denies all of the allegations” made in a lawsuit filed last month, and he described the encounter in June 2009 as “consensual in nature.”

“Real Madrid C. F. can today announce that the club has taken legal action against the Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manhã for publishing categorically false information in an effort to seriously damage the image of this club,” Real Madrid said.

“Real Madrid has absolutely no knowledge of any of the information that the newspaper published with regard to the player Cristiano Ronaldo, and therefore the club was unable to take action on a matter of which it had no knowledge. Real Madrid has demanded total rectification of the situation from the aforementioned newspaper.”