The Nigerian Government has slammed its Italian counterpart for the burial of 26 Nigerian nationals found dead in the Mediterranean Sea.
It has, therefore, demanded explanations from the government of Italy.
Speaking to newsmen on Monday, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Foreign Affairs and Diaspora, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, described the move as unacceptable.
While calling on the UN to intervene in the sale of humans as slave, she said the world cannot go back to the dark era where human beings are sold as slaves.
Dabiri-Erewa said the Italian embassy had earlier informed that the 26 girls would be buried on 26 November in Salerno, Italy.
She, however, said contrary to what the Italian Embassy had told the National Agency for Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP), the girls were buried nine days before the scheduled date.
”It is easier now to traffick human beings than to traffick drugs because with the technology, we are getting to know who carries drugs,” Dabiri-Erewa said.
”So this is the next line of business and this is something that the world must rise up to, which brings me to the issue of slavery.
”And Nigeria, being the giant of Africa, we are going to champion the rights of these girls; even an illegal migrant has rights.
”If there is no demand, there is no supply. So while we on our end ensure that we do everything to curtail the supply, they on their end demanding are just as guilty.”