Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Justice Walter Onnoghen says he has not been invited for any investigation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
A list of high-profile individuals allegedly being investigated by the EFCC had been published online, including Onnoghen’s name.
In a statement by the CJN’s Senior Special Assistant (Media), Awassam Bassey on Wednesday, Onnoghen said he had nothing to hide and was open to investigation.
He stated, “Our attention has been drawn to media reports quoting the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) as probing the Hon. Chief Justice of Nigeria (CJN), Hon. Justice Walter Samuel Onnoghen, GCON, for yet-to-be disclosed reasons.
“The reports in the media mentioned the reason for the investigation as “intelligence” which for now we take to be abstract.
“However, the Hon. CJN wishes to use this medium to say that it is the first time he is being aware of any allegations or intelligence against him, neither has he been invited or called upon to offer any explanation on any impropriety.
“However, the Hon. CJN wishes to assure the public that he has nothing to hide and is open to investigation.
“As a committed patriot who has spent all his adult life in the temple of justice, the Hon. CJN is ready to pay the required price to make the nation a better place.
“The commitment of the Hon CJN to the efforts of the current administration to rid the country of corrupt practices is unwavering and he will stop at nothing to see a new dawn in Nigeria’s Judiciary.”