Alexandre Bissonnette, a Canadian political science student, was charged Monday with six counts of murder after a shooting spree at a Quebec mosque.
Though earlier reports stated that two arrests were made, the police said the other suspect was just a witness and was let go after investigations showed he was not involved.
AFP reports that the police said he was charged with six counts of premeditated murder and five of attempted murder. However, more indictments are expected.
Eight people were also wounded in the crossfire, and five of them remained in critical condition in hospital Monday.
“There are search warrants underway,” a spokeswoman for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police told a press conference.
“We hope to obtain the evidence to reach the point where we will be able to lay terrorism and national security charges,” she said.
So far, authorities have shed no light on what may have prompted the attack.
Police are continuing to collect evidence in a bid to “identify exactly who is involved and what was their motivation,” Goodale said.
Authorities, he added, don’t have “sufficient, hard facts yet to be able to draw conclusions.”
The Quebec mosque had already been the target of hate: a pig’s head was left on the doorstep last June during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Other mosques in Canada have been targeted with anti-Muslim graffiti in recent months.
Police stationed near the mosque told AFP that they had feared this type of attack “because it’s happening all over the world.”
The Canadian Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, was vocal in his condemnation of the act.
“Last night’s horrible crime against the Muslim community was an act of terror committed against Canada and against all Canadians,” Trudeau said.
“To the one million Canadians who profess the Muslim faith, 36 million hearts are breaking with yours,” alluding to the country’s total population of people with diverse origins.