Paul McCartney
Sir Paul McCartney performs at The Joint inside the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino April 19, 2009 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Photo Credit MychordBook

By Rashidat Akashat, Agency Reports

“The Beatles” member Paul McCartney, has sparked up feud against Sony/ATV, following a lawsuit filed in Federal Court, Manhattan saying that his music should be where it once belonged.

Advertise With Us

The legal battle which drew a line over copyright ownership of several hit songs written by McCartney with John Lennon as members of ‘The beatles’, seeks to influence the termination provision of the Copyright Act.

The Copyright which may become the most significant in the music industry in years, were famously bought by the late famous pop-star Micheal Jackson in 1985 and trasferred to Sony/ ATV after his death.

McCartney who has long shown interest in the copyright, and the official ownership, according to Foxnews.com,said he had already sent a notice to Sony/ATV saying that he would reclaim ownership after a certain period, backed by  the U.S copyright law.

McCartney’s complaint, said the songwriter, did the transfer of intellectual ownership written by him and John Lennon to several music publishers, between 1962 and 1971.

The first song to be claimed will be his “Love Me Do”, which is till October 2018, while others will follow after 2026.

FoxNews.com says the singer, wants a ruling that claims his possession of the copyrights, doesn’t breach any contract or publishing agreement that Sony/ATV might use against him.

McCartney Refuses To Accpt Sony/ATV Challenge

“Defendants have attempted to reserve their rights to challenge Paul McCartney’s exercise of his termination rights on contractual ground,” the filing says.

It adds, “A judicial declaration is necessary and appropriate at this time so that Paul McCartney can rely on quiet, unclouded title to his rights.”

On the other hand, the defendant says it had “the highest” respect for McCartney.

“We have collaborated closely with both Sir Paul and the late John Lennon’s Estate for decades to protect, preserve and promote the catalog’s long-term value,” the company said, adding that it was “disappointed” over the filing of the lawsuit, which it said is “unnecessary and premature.”

Meanwhile, in 1976, Congress increased the period of years under the copyright protection to 35years, which includes recognition of authors who had signed over their rights to other publishers and studios, regardless of their bargaining strength.

Artists such as Bob Dylan, Tom Petty and Prince have used the mere threat of termination to negotiate new deals and better compensation arrangements.