The management of Yaba College of Technology, Lagos, has suspended all academic activities, indefinitely.
The decision was taken due to the fire outbreak that razed the institution’s Bakassi Hostel in the early hours of Wednesday.
No life was lost, but some students were said to be injured and taken to hospital for treatment.
Spokesperson of the college Dr Charles Oni, in a statement, said, “all examinations and lectures, especially scheduled for today [Wednesday] have been put on hold while the College attends to the exigency.”
“The truth is that firemen needed an excavator to attend to the fire, which the College provided promptly,” he said.
How it happened
The fire broke out at a wing of the top floor of the female hostel. It was also gathered that the inferno started at about 5.20 am when the school generator was switched on after a power outage.
Three students sustained injuries as a result of commotion that ensued when the inferno started. The injured students were then rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Yaba and the General Hospital, Randle Avenue, Surulere.