The Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved eight new private universities across the country.
The Minister of State for Education, Professor Anthony Onwuka, announced this to newsmen after the FEC meeting today.
Onwuka further stated that the ministry had submitted the memo to the council following NUC’s recommendation for approval.
The Eight New Universities
- Anchor University, Ayobo, Lagos;
- Arthur Jarvis Akpabuyo University, Calabar, Cross River;
- Clifford University, Owerinta, Abia;
- Coal City University, Enugu;
- Crown Hill University, Kwara;
- Dominican University, Ibadan, Oyo;
- Kola Daisy University, also in Ibadan
- Legacy University, Okija, Anambra State.
Meanwhile, the new universities were given three years provisional license. According to Onwuka, all the new universities are expected to take off and resume activities.
New Universities Get Mentors
Furthermore, Onwuka stated that the new universities will be mentored by the older ones.
- Anchor University will be mentored by the University of Lagos
- Jarvis University by the University of Calabar
- Clifford University by the University of Agriculture, Umudike
- Coal city University will be mentored by the University of Nigeria Nsukka
- Crown Hill University by the University of Ilorin;
- Kola Daisy and Dominican universities, will be mentored by the University of Ibadan.