blasts
Scene of the blast PHOTO: NEMA

Nine persons have been killed following twin blasts in the early hours of Saturday in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

Advertise With Us

The Deputy Director of the Nigerian army Col. Mustapha Anka confirmed the attack in a statement.

Anka revealed that the blasts occurred opposite the Bakassi Internally Displaced Persons camp, and the NNPC fuel station along Damboa road.

” At about 7.05 a.m. this morning, there were twin simultaneous suicide bomb explosions at the entrance of Bakassi Internally Displaced Persons camp and NNPC Mega Filling Station, Damboa Road, Maiduguri.

“At the Bakassi IDPs camp, a suspected female suicide bomber ran into a group of men and women at the entrance while they were coming out of the camp, killing 5 men and injuring 11 women.

“The bodies of the dead men and the injured women have been evacuated.

“At the NNPC, a female suicide bomber followed a fuel tanker in Keke NAPEP tricycle with the sole aim of gaining entry to cause maximum damage and casualty but was prevented from gaining access to the station by another vehicle.”

According to him, the suicide bomber exploded, killing the three occupants of the tricycle with no report of injuries.

He said that the Acting General Officer Commanding Brig.-Gen. Victor Ezugwu had already visited the scene to get firsthand information.

“The Acting GOC 7 Division has already visited the place and appealed to the people to be calm as concerted efforts were on to ensure the safety of lives and property.

“Troops and security agencies have been mobilised and the injured have been evacuated while efforts are ongoing to comb the general area as well as entries and exits of Maiduguri.”

“While we commiserate with the families of the late victims of this cruel act and wish those injured speedy recovery, we would like to assure the public that efforts are ongoing to track those behind the dastardly acts.

“However, it is equally important to reiterate the need for more vigilance and security consciousness among all.

”Citizens are enjoined to report any suspicious persons or movements to the security agencies,” he said.

Meanwhile, the National Emergency Management Agency, in a statement, has also confirmed the killing of nine persons in the blasts.

NEMA spokesman Sani Datti said in a statement on Saturday that nine persons were killed, while 24 others suffered injury resulting from the blasts.